A professional counselor license defense lawyer can help protect your career
A formal complaint filed with the HHSC in response to an alleged violation of the law or professional rules can have serious consequences for your career. Some common reasons professional counselors face enforcement action from the Commission include allegations of:
- Breaches of confidentiality.
- Inappropriate relationships and boundaries with clients, including dual relationships.
- False, misleading or deceptive advertising of services.
- Failure to maintain accurate records or other paperwork.
- Insurance and Medicaid fraud.
- Failure to report information on abuse of minor clients.
- Criminal activity.
- Unprofessional conduct.
If the HHSC finds that the complaint is valid, you could face administrative penalties and/or disciplinary action on your license as severe as outright revocation. And the consequences for your career can be significant even after those penalties are completed, as the Commission publicizes names and alleged violations on its website for up to seven years.