In Texas, various boards and agencies are established by law to regulate medical professionals. These agencies are tasked with overseeing licensure, license requirements, and codifying board rules. Each board has a duty to investigate complaints made against its licensees and to administer disciplinary action when appropriate.
The following boards and agencies regulate medical professionals in Texas:
- Texas Medical Board: licenses physicians, physician assistants, surgical assistants, acupuncturists, and other medical providers.
- Texas Board of Nursing
- Texas State Board of Dental Examiners: licenses dentists, dental hygienists, and dental assistants.
- Executive Council of Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Examiners
- Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists
- The Texas Health and Human Services Commission regulates Marriage and Family Therapists.
- The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation oversees:
- Texas State Board of Pharmacy
- Texas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners
Each board has its own processes and procedures on how complaints and ensuing investigations are handled.
Complaints against medical professionals are made by patients, patients’ family, colleagues, and other organizations or sources for a variety of alleged conduct. The following are just a few common allegations of misconduct or malfeasance the Texas boards that regulate medical providers receive:
- Breach of the standard of care.
- Complaints about the quality of care provided to the patient.
- Violations of board rules or regulations.
- Failure to keep the patient informed or maintain adequate communication.
- Failure to fulfill expectation for examination and treatment.
- Failure to promptly or properly diagnose illness.
- Inappropriate behavior
- Unprofessional conduct.
- Being under the influence of drugs or alcohol while on the job.
- Problem behavior or addiction to drugs or alcohol.
- Criminal activity.
The foregoing list is not exhaustive. The boards and agencies that regulate medical professionals in Texas receive thousands of complaints every year for allegations that span a wide variety of conduct.
When Your Medical License is at Risk
If you are under investigation by a Texas board that regulates medical providers, your license, reputation, and career are on the line. It’s critically important that you take the complaint seriously from the start and address the allegations head-on.
Our law firm helps professionals, like you, keep their licenses when those licenses are under attack by a state agency or board.
BERTOLINO LLP represents licensed professionals across the entire State of Texas. With offices in Austin, Houston, and San Antonio, we serve clients all over the state. As experienced attorneys, well-versed in state and federal laws, we know how to win. Our results speak for themselves.
Contact us today or call (512) 717-5432 and schedule a case evaluation.
Follow BERTOLINO LLP on Facebook!
View free videos & subscribe to our YouTube channel!
Get a copy of Tony Bertolino’s Bestselling book When Your License is Under Attack: A Survival Guide for Texas Professionals in hardcover or for Kindle here.