The Dyslexia Therapy program is administered by the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation (TDLR), which licenses and regulates licensed dyslexia therapists and licensed dyslexia practitioners.
Texas law requires that a person using the titles “Licensed Dyslexia Therapist” and “Licensed Dyslexia Practitioner” be licensed. However, Texas law does not require a school district to employ a licensed dyslexia therapist or practitioners, and educators may continue to provide services to those with dyslexia without being licensed.
Licensees of the TDLR’s Dyslexia Therapy program must adhere to the rules and regulation of the profession. Licensees may face disciplinary action, administrative penalties, or both, if they are found to have violated the rules that govern dyslexia therapists and practitioners. 16 Tex. Admin. Code §120.90(a)(1).
Bases for Disciplinary Action
Licensees must comply with the following requirements:
- Provide only professional services that are within the scope of their competence, considering level of education, training, and experience.
- Ensure a safe therapy or teaching environment for clients.
- Terminate a professional relationship when it is reasonably clear that the client is not benefitting from the services being provided or when the client no longer needs the services.
- Be knowledgeable of all available diagnostic data and other relevant information regarding each client.
- Not guarantee, directly or by implication, the results of any therapeutic services, and must fully inform clients of the nature and possible outcomes of services rendered.
- Comply with all provisions of Texas state or federal law or rule that relates to the provision of professional services by, or the regulation of the license holder.
16 Tex. Admin. Code §120.90(b). Failure to comply with the above-listed requirements, or other requirements of licensed dyslexia therapists under Texas law, is grounds for disciplinary action to be imposed by the TDLR against the licensee.
Defending Against a Complaint Filed with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
If you are a Texas Licensed Dietician and a complaint has been filed against you with the TDLR, you need a professional license defense attorney to defend you. The TDLR investigates all complaints filed against Licensed Dieticians and has a comprehensive enforcement program with the power to impose penalties and sanctions.
Throughout the TDLR ‘s investigation process you have the right to defend your licenses. Further, all professional licensees have the right to be represented at every stage of a complaint. Hiring an attorney to help you mount a strong defense serves to protect your license, reputation, financial interests, and your career; it does not make you look guilty.
Hire an Experienced License Defense Attorney
If you have been notified of a complaint filed against you with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, BERTOLINO LLP can help. We are experienced TDLR license defense attorneys and we know how to navigate the Agency’s complaint process. We are prepared to represent you at any legal hearing or proceeding regarding your professional license.
Our firm believes that immediately consulting an experienced TDLR license defense attorney to review allegations of misconduct helps ensure the most favorable outcome in your case. Our results speak for themselves.
BERTOLINO LLP represents licensed professionals across the entire State of Texas. If you are facing disciplinary action from a professional licensing board or state agency, contact us today or call (512) 717-5432 and schedule a case evaluation.