The process of getting a divorce can be very stressful, if you let it. The long-term impacts of the stress from your divorce can be damaging to your health and can make it more difficult for you to move on with your life. A family law lawyer can help make the process easier for you by negotiating a settlement on your behalf, advising you of your rights and representing you in court. However, you will need to make sure you are doing everything possible to take care of yourself and make choices that will make the divorce process easier.
Tips for a Peaceful Texas Divorce
For a legal consultation, call (512) 476-5757
The Huffington Post provides some tips for those who are going through the divorce process to help make the unpleasant events of ending a marriage a little bit easier. If you are divorcing from your spouse, you should:
- Make sure you get sufficient support. You are not alone in ending your marriage, even if you feel isolated. There are divorce support groups locally through churches and community groups, and there are also many Internet forums where you can talk to other people who are going through what you are going through. In some cases, it is best to get professional help from a trained therapist or psychiatrist in order to make sure you are working through your feelings.
- Avoid assigning blame. It can be really hard to see your spouse’s side, but you want to try to avoid blame and anger so you can get through the divorce process peacefully. If you can avoid blame, you can facilitate open and honest communication. This makes it easier for you to negotiate an out-of-court divorce settlement, which can be less costly than going to court to resolve your differences.
- Don’t fight over everything. Pick your battles and think about the areas where you are willing to compromise. If you try to get your way on every single issue, you could end up needing to go through an expensive and contentious litigation process, and in the end the judge may not end up siding with you on every issue anyway. Your lawyer will help you to understand benefits to which you are reasonably entitled under the law, and will assist you in doing everything possible to get the best divorce settlement under the circumstances.
- Consider an alternative to litigation. Mediation and collaborative divorce are two options that can be better for everyone.
- Keep focused on the big picture. It can be easy to get bogged down in details that don’t really matter as you end your marriage. Think carefully about the things that will affect your future and your children’s future and focus on getting the outcome you desire on the important matters.
By following these tips, hopefully you can move effectively through the process of ending your marriage in Texas and end up with a divorce settlement agreement that makes sense for your life.
Contact Bertolino LLP at 512-717-5432 to schedule a consultation with an Austin, TX divorce lawyer today. Serving Austin and surrounding suburbs including Round Rock, Cedar Park, Georgetown and San Marcos.